Pujehun Community Primary School Ecosan
The school has 160 children from the surrounding town districts and had no useable sanitation facilities, so the children were using the neighbouring fields, with obvious risks to their health and security.
We have constructed a small eco-sanitation unit, with separate areas for both girls and boys. This will provide effective sanitation facilities for all children and staff at the school, greatly improving their health and security. Compost from the facility will also improve yields in the neighbouring school market garden.
We are also constructing a water storage tank next to the ecosan, pumped from a nearby well, to provide a reliable water supply for washing facilities incorporated within the ecosan unit.
This project at a glance
- Location: Sierra Leone locate on map
- Population: 9,000
- Main occupation of town: Market traders, supporting the regional farming communities. Regional administration and educational centre
- Project start date: March 2010
- Length of project: 15 months (completion, June 2011)
- Provided: Primary school ecosan complex; water storage tank and pump
- Funded by: Private donor, UK
- Support from: Pujehun Development Organisation (PDO)